Wednesday 21 January 2015

Digital Surrealism Culminating Project - Northern Gateway Pipeline



       This piece is called "Northern Gateway Pipeline". The point of this culminating is to communicate an issue that is going on in this world or in society nowadays, as well as make our whole picture seem surreal since we are focusing on surrealism. I chose mine to be about the Northern Gateway Pipeline project. Not many people know about this project but soon it will be most likely be on the news more and more. This is project where the government is going to build  two parallel pipelines between an inland terminal at Bruderheim, Alberta, and a marine terminal near Kitimat,British Columbia, each with a length of 1,177 kilometers. Crude oil produced from oils sands would be transported from Bruderheim to Kitimat, while natural gas condensate would move in the opposite direction. I believe they shouldn't build it, because if somehow there is an oil spill it will disturb untouched wildlife, rivers full of fish and it would take about 9 million dollars to recover what was damaged.

    First I did a bit of research on it and how it would affect us. In the beginning I had an idea that was going to take way too much time so I decided to go with an easier one like this one. The whole idea of this image is that the water (it was supposed to be oil but I wasn't able to find a good image of it, I was going to put some affects on it but I ran out of time) is entering a classroom slowly as in how this issue is entering our lives slowly. I took two pictures one of the of the classroom and one of the opened door, I then went on Creative Commons and found the image of the water with no license. I then started Photoshop.

   There wasn't much that I had to do on the photo. First I played around with the contrast and brightness of the classroom.  Then I opened the photo of the door in a separate page and used the Quick Selection tool to get rid of the unwanted objects around it. Then I masked it and dragged it onto the classroom and did a few adjustments with it to make it look like it belongs there, I used the eraser tool to blur out the edges. Then I repeated the same process with the water, I again used the eraser tool to blur the water onto the floor and to make it look like its going under the desk. After that I was finished my Digital Surrealism Culminating.

No comments:

Post a Comment