Tuesday 9 February 2016

Masking in Photoshop


        This was a quick assignment which was to help us refresh our memory on how to use masks in Photoshop for another upcoming assignment. We were told to choose a picture of a famous person that we like or dislike, I chose Lana Del Rey because no one else came to mind. Then we were to find a new image which would be suitable as a new background image for the celebrity. In my case I chose the image of a park because I thought that it would match with the image of Lana and look the most realistic.

        I first placed the image of the park in the Photoshop tab, I then created a new tab and dragged the image of Lana so that I have more control of what will be "masked". I placed the white mask over Lana, I then used the pencil brush with the colour black which will reveal the new background (the park). I would also switch to the brush in white if I made a mistake (e.g if I erased some parts of Lana's body it would appear again) and  I would change the size of the brush as I went along the outline of the body. As I did this assignment I would remind myself that white conceals and black reveals. I then dragged the tab where masked Lana's image and placed it onto the tab where the background photo is.  I also would have the brush to have a soft edge, this technique was used so that when I used the pencil in black Lana's body can somewhat blend into the background. To try and minimize the appearance that there are actually two different images and not just one. When I finished using the mask I just readjusted the sizing so that she doesn't look out of place in the background.

That is how I ended up with this finished result.

No comments:

Post a Comment